Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Working the Brain - Designing a Game

In order to keep myself agile, in shape and ready for any design challenge that might come up, I've decided to start designing small games based off of themes. I searched around the net and stumbled upon a nice site that generates words and phrases in attempt to help brainstorming. It seemed a decent place to start.

I devised this system for coming up with a theme for a game.
  1. Start At: http://watchout4snakes.com/CreativityTools/Brainstorm/BrainstormWord.aspx
  2. Type a situation OR use a random sentence. I'm going to start with random sentences - this creates more of a challenge I think and forces me to think outside the 'box'.
  3. Follow the rest of the instructions for brainstorming ideas.
  4. Take these ideas and formulate a small game document.
  5. Execute and Iterate on that game document.

Pretty simple really. I'll see how it works out.

No comments: